Saturday 19 May 2012

Early May in the ForageFor... seasonal flower garden

The beautiful wallflowers have now reached their peak in the seasonal flower garden. I have grown both the single and mixed colour varieties and all have been fantastic! The scent has been heady in the garden and the bees have loved them as much as I do.  Last year I sadly lost 90% of my wallflowers to a rather hungry family of rabbits, so this year they have been a delight.





The quantity of wallflowers in the garden has given me the opportunity to be 'flower greedy' and pick hundreds of stems, stripping back their lower leaves for the compost, and then trying different combinations of arrangements.

Wallflowers have an average vase life of 5 days and the delicate petals will drop, but I love this it's like having a scattering of confetti around the vase. These Ruby Gem wallflowers have been placed in a large windowbox in the middle of a dining table.



Here are yellow, orange and the pinks selected from the mixed variety, My Fair Lady, both are in  'earthy' looking Hillstonia jugs.  I particularly like the funky double handled one.





6 comments:

  1. Fabulous blog, lovely flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely Claire, thank you! Of course I know one colour is missing for you in this blog .... purple! But don't worry next week's blog will feature 'Purple Sensation' the allium! X

      Delete
  2. Well done, ForageFor! The flowers are gorgeous; the writing, delicately scented. Looking forward to next week's episode. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Blarbs, moi delicately scented? I think that's a first! I might try a DAILY blog entry as the growing is in full swing. Hopefully I can show 'your mouse' that there might be something even better than lily of the valley for him to carry .... although what could be better than lily of the valley I ask myself .... nothing!

      Delete
  3. Great Blog and beautiful photographs. I love the faded blooms in the last photo, perfect in the Hillstonia jug.
    Can't wait for the Alliums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kitty, glad you like the faded elegance of the pink wallflowers and the jug (you can never have too many jugs!) In my mind, how can you beat a delicious antiquey pink in any flowers, my top fav for this colour is the zinnia, Queen Red Lime, which is exquisite and I am growing many, many more this year. Thanks for looking at my blog, check in again later today for my next blog.

      Delete