Sunday 12 August 2012

Oxburgh Hall

My flower growing season is in ‘full throttle’ mode during May-October and this is also the main season for garden shows and visiting gardens across the country.  Consequently, I have to make myself have a day off from gardening, markets and weddings to visit at least one or two venues during the summer.

A local garden that has been on my radar for a little while is Oxburgh Hall, near Swaffham in Norfolk.  I wanted to get to see the glasshouse which was rebuilt by volunteers and completed in 2010.  I love visiting kitchen gardens as well as more formal gardens and Oxburgh has a particularly quaint kitchen garden.  It was very hot and sticky weather when I visited and here are a few pictures to share with you.






A charming kitchen garden with a view of the Hall beyond




The Hall with it's surrounding moat.






Oxburgh has the most amazing examples of Tudor chimneys.




The formal gardens, herbaceous border and orchard can be seen in the distance






The beautiful herbaceous border is reached via the orchard and was a special feature for, "ladies of the house to enjoy".  I love expressions like this, almost as good as, "Taking a turn about the room"!




























2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous day out! Each photo is a picture postcard.
    I am now considering taking a turn around the room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, I had to ask Ian what that meant. I had never done that before. : )

    ReplyDelete