Tuesday 4 December 2012

There’s No Berry Like a Snowberry

I don’t have a snowberry (symphoricarpus albus) shrub in my cutting garden but I love foraging for a few berries for arrangements in the hedgerows during autumn and winter.




They are so sweet they should be made into disney characters.  In the UK we are so used to the red, yellow and orange berries of pyracantha, cotoneaster, berberis and so forth but these fleshy white berries, well ... they are extra special.  It’s their plumpness I love and the way they grow in gorgeous clusters of different size berries with the little black ‘dot‘ at their base.  I also love the way, when the leaves drop from the shrub, the only thing that's left is the berries.





When I first started to appreciate snowberries they reminded me of one my favourite bric-a-brac costume jewellery brooches I bought many years ago for a few of your earth pounds.










So I teamed them up for a full on brooch/snowberry appreciation session ... I know, I know I need to get out more, but I’m sure you can see the similarity too! Now to find a way to preserve the snowberries to wear as a brooch in the event my brooch might disintegrate from over wearing or be lost.









Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

















1 comment: